Tesla Y Sub Decision

Participant count
  • Participant list

mr b
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hello all, been gone a while but hoping to get some help.

I have a 2024 Tesla Model Y and am trying to decide between putting a single 10" sub behind the rear seat or building an enclosure for what would be the spare tire well but is actually just a storage area under the trunk floor board.

I would prefer to use the spare tire well but have never gone this route. The factory sub is mounted in the rear fender well and it does fine but I NEED more. From what I can tell only an 8" would comfortably fit in the rear fender well but I want a 10" or maybe 12".

At this time I only want to add a sub and don't want to replace the other speakers. I will be disconnecting the factory sub.

After much research I should be able to add a solid 500-600 watt D class amp. I already have the integration unit.

Anyone have experience in the Tesla Y realm or able to help me decide between a spare tire mounted sub or a behind the seat sub?

Either way I would have a out one cubic foot to play with.

The spare tire route would also mean having the factory floor board over the sub but I could cut it and install heavy duty metal mesh to let air through.

I have plenty of install experience and can build the right side box and port it properly.

If I recall, there ae quire a few made just for the tesla Y, all the tesla s for that matter.

One of these

With 2 of these ($50 off ea)

Couple of grills

Solid amp 800 watts at 2ohms

ANother

another (budget) good quality performer

Last edited:
Man this is very helpful. I saw the NVX option but never dealt with them and didn't want to put something lower quality than the factory components.

Any input on sound difference between spare tire setup and behind the seat rear facing?

The NVX linked to are very good subs. Way above factory grade for sure - even good OEM's won't compete. The frills are pretty stout and for most of the stuff you'll throw on top, fine. Thatis a beuaty of a box and should work

As for rear facing versus upward, I personally LOVED my upward firing subs in the previous hatchback and would have liked to go that route again but due to the amp locations had to go with rear firing behind the seats. You may notice a difference in Phase alignment but that too is rare. at the end of the day, to me, the "in-the-floor" option would be preferable, the more practical use of space and the least likely to suffer cancellations from bouncing off of everything in the back then moving forward, just a hunch. I don't think you're going to get a nod to one or the other for sound or cabin gain preferences.4

Revisiting the https://www.zenclosures.com/category-s/215.htm indicates that the chamber for the box listed above is 1.4 cubic ft, which is WAY too small for dual ported 12s. That said, it would be aswesone fro two sealed/stuffed NVX 10s

Here is the driver (on sale for $110 ea)

If you went with a rear firing box, you will need something in the 3.85 - 4 cubic foot range to go ported. That's a pretty big box!

Dual NVX carbon 10s (stuffed cavity) in that Tesla box,will handle upwards of 1600 watts and that's pretty damn loud!

Thank you again, one last question, I am looking at the Skar Audio option as well and it looks like a decent option but there are no posts or reviews available. Never used Skar Audio and the fact there are no posts about it does concern me.
It's this one:

That works! That particular Skar driver is decent enough for the money for sure. Not a big fan of their electronics, but they do make some good subwoofers-drivers

If I recall, there ae quire a few made just for the tesla Y, all the tesla s for that matter.

One of these

With 2 of these ($50 off ea)

Couple of grills

Solid amp 800 watts at 2ohms

ANother

another (budget) good quality performer

How are those shallow mount subs? The mounting depth says 7".

I've been a fan of the JL shallow mounts, and have actually heard a decent box with some Pioneers but the Focal are pretty darn good. The JL TW's are very impressive.

I was even considering the Cerwin Vega or JBL spare tire subs but can't see imagine they would sound as good as a standard sub in box setup.

Doxquzme I truly appreciate your help.

I was even considering the Cerwin Vega or JBL spare tire subs but can't see imagine they would sound as good as a standard sub in box setup.

Would you consider giving up room for a single 10" sub? And a small amplifier or an all in one ported unit? whats your budget? I was taking a look at a Stinger sub that is a Down-fire sub , but looks like it could also be installed for sub rear port rear firing bolted down and looks like it doest take up a whole lot of space.

I'm with you there. Even a smaller REAL sub as @audiobaun has suggested would be preferable. The only spare tire subs that I've heard that make the grade or the ones where someone has just used the space and put in a proper sub with the proper airspace and tuned accordingly.

I'm sure they exist, but the reality is, people get them when space and convenience is the priority, not the sound. To me, better than nothing is not much better. Not worth getting divorced over but... Wait...

;)

The best shallow that I've heard is the JL by far. One good regular 8" sub on a 1K would probably be all that you need. Two 8's in 1.5 cubic feet ported would definitely be enough. Sundown X8 is a popular one. One JL 8W7 can get crazy if you don't have a budget.

I have a Y as well, so many options you can go with. I'm running 500 watts to a JL 10W6v2 and its more than enough output for me (1.25 @ 32hz). I'm thinking about building a box to use in the rear footwell, there's a TON of space in there to accommodate a single 12" sub properly ported. I'd recommend creating a different false floor if you go this route, much cheaper and you could easily toss the stock floorboard back in if you ever sell the vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...